Wednesday, June 6, 2007

My Home-Sewn Wedding

I purchased an ivory colored, very heavy weight satin, 1930s wedding gown from at an estate sale about 7 years before I even had a wedding planned.
I just knew when I saw the gown that I would be haunted forever by the sadness of passing by such scrumptious material if I didn't buy it!!
B and I have known each other our WHOLE lives. We didn't begin "dating" until my 25th birthday!! When he proposed to me on my 26th birthday (he was almost 30) I began to design my wedding gown from that estate sale find. I took it apart and redesigned it...



This was before the wedding mass at the Church. My life-long friend/maid of honor and my neighbor/friend/bride's maid help to get me buttoned up!! I made their dresses too. Their fabric was ivory satin (but not vintage and not as heavy weight as mine). We had matching sleeves with lots of lace. I had a small bustle at the back of the waist. The bodice was covered with my hand done embroidery work in ivory color, as was the bottom of my skirt in front.



When Dad walked me down the aisle it all seemed surreal. I was getting married. My very long train was covered with ivory colored ribbon roses which I sewed on, and it hooked up in back like a draped bustle for the reception afterward.  I used mom's headpiece from her wedding and redesigned it and added my long veil which was scattered with lots of tiny ivory colored pearl beads that took forever to sew on! 


 I was 27 and he was 31. I grew up knowing all of his 3 brothers and 3 sisters. Our mom's were in the same pinochle card club since the 1950's (as was his mom's sister,who had 15 kids!). Big Catholic families! My Catholic family was not as big, just me and 3 older brothers. All the pinochle ladies took turns hosting the card playing nights once a month in their homes. As a child, I always tagged along with my mom, so I knew all his aunt's kids too. I sometimes tease that he only married me because I could recite his 15 cousin's names better than he!!

I made the front of my dress drawn up and added more ribbon roses. My shoes were flat heeled and had bows on the top. I didn't bother to wear high heels. 
Better to go for comfort than hope to try to be as tall as his 6'2" height!! 
The manor house in the background is part of a beautiful park.

You can click on this image to show more detail.


This is taken in front of the manor house. Click to enlarge and you can see my shoes and dress bottom more detailed.



My attendants: I grew the ivy all summer to use in their baskets. Their wine colored sashes tied in huge fluffy bows in the back. I made my little satin purse which drew shut with a soft ribbon.



That's his younger brother on the left.
His cousin (one of the 15), serving as best man, on the right.
B was his best man when he was married about 3 years before.




4 comments:

Betty Jo said...

Ooooooo I so enjoyed your wedding. You were such a beautiful bride and I adore your dress and just everything. Thanks so much for sharing such a precious and special time in your life. I followed your link from your friend Betty's blog. xoxo

She'sSewPretty said...

Amy, oh my gosh....What a beautiful wedding. Your dress is beautiful too. I loved your "wedding story"!
Your hubby must be a nice guy...My hubby's name is Bill too!

cinderelly said...

hi amy, thanks for the lovely story! you put together quite a beautiful wedding! great dress!

Anonymous said...

Everyone,
Amy's wedding gown is a wonderful work of art in itself. I have never known a bride to make her own dress and the bridesmaid's' dresses as well. She was a beautiful bride and is a beautiful person. I have known her since she was 4 years old.
Hey Amy!
Suzette