Sunday, September 9, 2007

To The Theater

A and I went to the theater.
We saw the story of Jane Austen {1775-1817} called Becoming Jane. It was a very beautiful movie. I adore period films. They give the opportunity to escape the fast paced 21st century outside the theater walls. I do love a good romance.

I only go to the theater about once a year. The rest of the time we opt to wait for the DVD to appear at Target. I pointed out to A as we waited in line for her cola and buttered popcorn (which costs as much as the 2 tickets) that they had a poster depicting "A Healthy Alternative" snack choice. It was bottled water and a handful of celery sticks! My comment was that if we only attend the theater once a year it is definitely worth the "Unhealthy, Guilt ridden, Traditional" snack choice. We will eat the celery sticks with a splash of water on the side somewhere other than at the theater, thank you!
Of course, as any of you literary people out there know, Jane stayed single and was independent and successful. I explained to A that women back then were not supposed to necessarily show their intelligence. Being a beauty and being an obedient wife were more important. A woman that was intelligent, willful, independent and successful was a rarity.
This is comical to A...she is a young lady who knows her mind and has been in the Gifted and Talented vein of education for 7 years since her teacher saw her potential in kindergarten. She thinks that to deny your own mind's ability and potential as a female is a horrible thing. Wow! Maybe there will be a movie made hundreds of years from now about my A's life accomplishments. Who knows?!! (I think A was switched at birth in the operating room after the c-sec!) 
If you like wonderful costumes, beautiful scenery, old fashion romance and real people from history then I recommend this movie. It's one of those films that catches you thinking about it long after you've left the theater...AND the celery sticks behind!!!!!

1 comment:

Blondie ~ Vintage Primitives said...

I haven't seen a movie on the big screen since Waiting to Exhale! Now, I wait for my kids to give a thumbs up and watch it on our screen via dvd or occasionally on my SIL's big screen (52") tv!
Blondie