Saturday, June 21, 2008

A Rambling written jumble- little bit of everything- Post


We have been trying to accomplish a lot of yard work lately to be ready for a (belated -by the time we will be ready!) Sweet Sixteen party for E. in July. 

I recall my sweet sixteen party as being the best birthday of my life so far.
I had many, many friends and relatives - young and old alike- attend my party that my mom had catered, and also friends and relatives brought food too. So much yummy food!!

My cake was wonderful...it was made by my sweet sister-in-law, S. It was shaped like a grand piano and the icing was pink and very ornate. The legs and keyboard and music stand portion of the grand piano cake were plastic . I was a learning phase pianist at the time. I haven't played for years, so although I can still read music, I would be very rusty to sit on the piano bench and tap out some songs.
Anyway, back to the yard work. Today wouldn't you know it= it thunder stormed almost the entire day!! I LOVE thunderstorms but I had a list about as long as my arm of things I either needed to do or needed help to do-- OUTSIDE!! In the evening we finally were able to get out and E. helped me to spread grass seed under the pines we had trimmed. It is a vast area of nothing but dirt now with weeds wanting to take over. We had filled in holes the dogs had dug and leveled it out--that took forever- weeks. I am going to rent the dogs out for trench diggers or grave diggers.
Our dog, Socks, is going nuts lately trying to chase the chipmunks that have taken up residency under the porch. A's outside Fluffy cat, used to catch every chipmunk that made the mistake of moving into our yard. Unfortunately, Fluffy got sick and died in just a couple of days' time back at Easter time. She misses him dearly.
Fluffy used up all 10 of his 9 lives!
Fluffy lived a dangerous and wild life. He was adopted as a kitten from the barn where E. used to take English riding lessons. Once when he was about 2 yrs old he was seriously injured from being in a very terrible fight and was stapled and stitched back together. He was so badly hurt and the vet was actually not certain he would survive being mended. ( The vet got almost all our tax refund money that year! Yep, spent on the CAT.). He survived to be beat up many more times, thankfully less seriously, in his night time travels into the rough world of a country woods, curious and adventurous (neutered) male cat.

In other varying mixed topics today...
We also took care of all the large limbs that came down about a week ago off the Cottonwood trees  that seem to reach to the clouds in their grand heights. They are very fragile in high wind and the whole back section of the back yard looked like a tornado had visited, though only strong straight line winds had come through . There were many minor tornadoes nearby our town that day. Lots of trees uprooted and trees snapped off.

The honeysuckle is blooming-- right among the poison oak-- on the fence by the woods!!!

 I worked a little bit on my fern jungle situation in the front yard too, thinning them out so my perennials can be seen!!


The best part is that we finally got some vegetables planted yesterday. Six different varieties of tomatoes, some eggplant, summer squash, Brussels sprouts, broccoli and our new try at celery. Each year we try to grow something new to us in the garden.

Hopefully tomorrow it will not rain so I can get someone to help work in the yard some more!!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy - I've been so very busy - just stopped by to let you know I haven't forgotten you!

Blondie ~ Vintage Primitives said...

Hi Amy
I loved your pics of the fern jungle when youj posted them. I am in the middle of redoing part of my front walkway foliage. It will hopefully look better next year as it gets established.
Enjoy the sweet sixteen and journal for yourself the preparations. I wish you love and happy memories
Blondie