Thursday, August 30, 2007

You Just Never Know...

I have to tell you a story about my travels home this morning from running errands.

I took a different way home through the neighborhood that has the humongous houses.
The kind where both adults work 60 hours a week; they pay the mortgage on their credit card and they buy their kids every new techno gadget the minute it's gone retail. The people that never spend the important thing....TIME with their kids. Time with each other as a family - building a puzzle or having a picnic on a blanket somewhere quiet with food prepared from home. Time with no cell phone or blackberry or blue tooth or any number of those other communication devices that impair the old fashion one to one human interaction.

No-- I'm not jealous that these are the same people that start cozy little fires in the fireplace for their cocktail party with 50 dollar bills and wipe their bottoms with 20 dollar bills. I have some sophisticated tastes but I do it on a thrifty, junkin' kind of budget. My way of life takes more brains and daring than money.

Phew! That turned into a rant when all I was planning was telling you my funny story...so- back to it.

It was recycling day at the curb in the neighborhood of surmised utopia. I spied a BIG bundle of magazines very neatly tied with white twine. I stopped, backed the car up and tossed my (heavy) find into the back seat. They are all Oprah and Rachael Ray mags!!
When I got home I stopped counting at 30 because I had to get to the computer to tell you about it. Now mind you, these 2 would not be my first choices from the entire magazine rack...but a good freebie can make your day!

Recycle indeed. I plan to recycle them right through my brain as I turn the pages and then proceed to cut out articles and pictures.

2 comments:

Blondie ~ Vintage Primitives said...

Hi Amy
I have tagged you. You have to go to my blog and see what you must do. Gosh, don't hate me for this. LOL. I am not used to doing this kind of stuff!
Blessings to you, dear one
Blondie

Blondie ~ Vintage Primitives said...

How wonderful a way to start a day. I do that occasionally and one of the bestest finds ever were window panes that were whole - not one broken pane. I used some to paint on and sold those and I still have a few to use eventually for a cold frame make do. Actually, the chair I am swivling in at the moment is a recent haul. I am a terrible trash picking dumpster diva. I love the challenge!