Monday, October 29, 2007

tarnished silver, old books and photos


My hutch display recently went from light and airy pastel pinks and rich wine red roses and lacy pink doilies and hankies. You can see it [here].to...
a darker, quieter, fall display of tarnished silver pieces and tarnished framed family photos and antique books and "fantasy family" tintype photos.


The little girl in the big silver frame is my Grandma (Dad's mom) when she was 4. The oval silver frame holds a photo of E. in the baptism gown I made for her out of a vintage cotton petticoat. The brown book, Child Classics, is from 1909 and The Land of Play book from 1911.





I like how the tin types look with the tarnished silver. The one of the two men sitting with their arms crossed is one of my favorites!


The book, The Adventures Of Ol' Mistah Buzzard, is from 1926. The two boys in the round frame are my Dad (on the right) and his brother wearing matching corduroy hats, jackets and knee pants that my Grandma made for them. The square frame holds a photo of my Mom and Dad on their wedding day.

The little girl with the tricycle, in the tarnished rose frame, is me when I was about 2.
The book, Around The World With The Children, is from 1917. I sewed the cat from a kit when I was in elementary school.


The couple in the oval are the parents of my very best life long friend.
They are like my second parents and surrogate grandparents to my 3 kids. My kids call them Nannie and Grampy. The two Billy Whiskers books are from 1902 and The Holton-Curry Reader is from 1914.

The girl in the oval frame is none other than me on my 17th birthday!


The small frame holds a photo of my B on his baptism day. His Godmother/Aunt is holding him. In the center framed photo- the little girl wearing a hat is me, about age 6. The wedding photo is me dancing with my dad.
The heart shaped frame is me and B on our wedding day. In the frame next to that- the little girl in head scarf is me at age 2.
The frame at far right shows me at age 5.





5 comments:

Mary said...

Hi there, found you through Cammy. I love tarnished silver, too, and old photos, and old books! I really enjoyed the tour of your hutch. Please come visit me if you get the chance...
xoxo,
Mary

Simply Shelley said...

Hi Amy, I love the new look of your hutch. Looks great! Isn't it fun doing little makeovers? I will be on the look out for you some Little Golden books. I may have a few on hand. I will need to check it out. I like the cat you made as a child. I have one just like that and a dog to ! You will see it on my blog. "Around the House" post!

Thanks for sharing everything,
Blessings,Shelley

a Pocket Angel said...

Amy, I love love love your hutch! From the beautiful silver pieces to the wonderful photos and books. It looks so delightful.
Silver treasures & frames are a passion of mine.
Hugs & love ~Mary~ :-}

Cathy said...

While browsing through BH&G Special Intersts Publication of Christmas Ideas last night, I stumbled upon a mantle filled with pewter pices. It reminded my of your beautiful tarnished silver hutch! I love how you personalized it using family photos from the past and your collection of old books. It's beautiful!

Deb said...

Hi Amy
Your hutch is wonderful - filled with so many treasures. I love the cat you made & your little Golden Books. What a beautiful collection of silver you have!
Happy Halloween.