Saturday, May 17, 2008

Clover's birth announcement

Clover Bunny proudly announces the arrival of her newest litter.


Before sunrise on Saturday May 17th she delivered 4 live babies. (Last spring when Clover had a litter she gave birth to 6 babies; 3 survived.)
Three are all pink which will mean white fur and 1 is pink and brown which means it will look like Mommy and Daddy too. Unfortunately the babies will never meet their daddy as he got out of the hutch a few weeks ago during the night to go on a secret adventure and died.



Here are the brand new babies just hours old. They are very squirmy and wiggly.
In a few days they will start to squeak. In a few weeks they will be full of soft fluffy fur. Now begins the endless nursing and diaper changing and...Oh wait...I was just having a flash back of my nursery years!!

This is what the nest looks like that Clover began to prepare on Wednesday by pulling the fur out from under her own neck. She fussed around with the fur and straw to get the nursery ready. Isn't it funny how the nesting instinct sometimes really means "nesting?
When I was ready to deliver my babies, my nesting instinct usually meant the urge to paint walls or furniture at the last minute. When I was 9 months pregnant with N. (an almost 10 pound baby I might add) I painted my entire kitchen floor like stepping stones with ferns and leaves scattered about-- I was on hands and knees I might add!


Anyway, back to the bunny story~~It looks like a white bunny explosion!! Surprisingly, she does not look bald at all.



I won the predicted delivery date bet. Clover went 32 days- just like last time.
If I had to be a pregnant animal I would rather be a rabbit than an elephant. Although, as a human mommy, I sometimes felt like the gestation period was as long as an elephant mommy (640 days!!).
Stay "tuned" to this blog "station" for frequent bunny updates and photos.
In the meantime, here is a fun web site I found that lists many maximum life spans and gestational period lengths. You never know when you may need this information. Someday you may thank me.

7 comments:

The Feathered Nest said...

AMY!! They are PRECIOUS!!! I used to breed rabbits when I was about twelve and LOVED them so much. You've just brought back some wonderful memories for me! I remember the fur pulling and nest building. My moma wouldn't nurse them so I had to place her in a small box so she would be forced to nurse the sweeties and it worked! Enjoy these angels and can't wait for growing updates! Hope you're having a great weekend, xxoo, Dawn

Pam said...

Congratulations to Clover---the babies are adorable.
What fun to get to see them and watch them grow.

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

That is so neat! Baby bunnies. Love them.
xoxo Nita

Blondie ~ Vintage Primitives said...

Oh Amy! What a marvelous way to greet the morning ~ visiting you and your new babies. How very precious new life is.
Blondie

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

Awesome!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh they are going to be so CUTE! We have wild rabbits that live on our property and they are so much fun to watch in the early evenings!

I'll stay tuned!!

Betty said...

Awww...that is so sweet! Hope bunny momma and babies are doing well!