Friday, November 14, 2008

the mending pile


The other night I felt strangely inspired to do mending. I used to sit at my sewing machine every day when I had my sewing business. I made my own wedding dress and maids' dresses. I made E. and A's baptism gowns. I even made E's First Communion dress and veil and A's First Communion dress and veil, too. But when it comes to quick simple mending, I sometimes procrastinate-- a lot. It is just so much more fun and I can easily and enthusiastically lose myself in a project that involves creating an item from idea to finish. Mending doesn't always have the same inspiration attached to just plow through it. People who know me often tease when a button needs sewn on that they need to find a woman that can sew!!
I made it through the pile of mending as one after another I seemed to begin, do and FINISH the task. Maybe it was like an out of body experience??! My kids were thrilled to have their favorite things back and fixed. E's friend had even added her favorite pajama pants to the repair pile mix! Imagine? I have adopted mending items too!
As I went deeper and deeper into the pile and found just how long I had procrastinated I asked my 16 year old if she minded if I didn't mend her favorite pants from kindergarten!!

1 comment:

Simply Shelley said...

Hi Amy,I had to laugh,sounds like my ironing pile. My 16 year old son could have some pants from kindergarten in there to,LOL.

Blessings,Shelley