Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Memories of apron clad Mommies and Grandmas bubble up in my Baby Boomer brain

I find myself attracted to many kinds of blogs. I've noticed that quite a few of my favorite blogs have APRON dialogue or pictures. It may be because they are of that certain age that they have those apron memories of adult females figures. Maybe they were born too late to have elders actually wear them in their presence but long for that seemingly simpler time.
I myself am of that certain age. I have the bragging rights of being categorized as being the ending edge of the Baby Boomer Club. Ironically, my oldest brother was born at the beginning edge of it all. So my family was , I guess, living that suburban post war dream in a new ranch house with a yard and a dog and a party line wall style phone in the kitchen. The kitchen even had red gingham curtains! My Mom greeted me after school each day wearing an APRON. All my friends were greeted this same way by their Moms too...all Moms back then in our neighborhood were "stay at home Moms"!! We knew no working/career Moms.



This is the only house I have ever lived in. No other house in my whole life. Some of you may feel that is boring. Others may deem it silly. I call it lucky. I can't bear to think of any other family living in these walls. My Dad built the house and I now live in it, having inherited it after caring for my (apron clad) Mom while she fought metastasized breast cancer for nearly 8 years.

I always had my own room growing up- the only girl, youngest child- 3 older brothers. Three bedroom house. The youngest of my 3 brothers got the raw deal on that one...or maybe it was my oldest brother who got the raw deal. Maybe not, as he was grown up and married by the time I was starting school.

But wait! This post started out as a story about APRONS--remember??

I have to tell you that I saved only 4 pieces of Mom's clothing after she died.

1.Her wedding dress
2.The dress that she wore to my oldest brother's wedding-it is pink lace
3.Her royal blue cardigan she wore almost religiously around the house-I never washed it since then either-sometimes I take it out from it's keeping place and put it to my nose to breathe in the lingering scent of "Mom-ness".
AND 4. Her favorite, very well worn APRON-it's red calico!! (I have not included a photo of it in these shown. I will save it for another time.)

My Grandma wore APRONS. Sometimes the full kind of APRONS; you know, the over the shoulder variety. She would wear her APRONS in her tiny little kitchen with the 1950's Atomic design linoleum.
(Above and below--
My aprons that Grandma Bubbles made for me to cover my dress fronts when I was little.)

My other Grandma ( I called her Grandma Bubbles ) wore lots of APRONS and sewed lots of APRONS for me- which I still have!! She wore her APRONS in her tiny little kitchen where her big fat old barn cat would lie sleeping on the rug in the doorway into the dinning room . She would make the best chunky applesauce and rice pudding and give me a bowl of it with cinnamon sprinkled on top. She would tie one of her waist APRONS around my neck to protect my dress.
So here I end just as I began: ending with Grandma Bubbles and beginning with the word bubble in this post title.

You can read more about Grandma Bubbles and her wonderful fabric stash if you click here . Visit with Grandma and Grandpa here.
Grandma "Bubbles" is revealed here.
Wonderful vintage photos here.
A road trip to see Grandma here.
This post tells the wonderful and tragic story of Grandma Bubbles' parents.
This post shows a super cool vintage APRON behind me as a baby and another picture of me wearing the turkey APRON that Grandma Bubbles made for me.


(Above- the front hallway decorated in haste for the holiday...including APRONS!)

2 comments:

Betty said...

Amy, I love aprons too. I don't have any that belonged to my mom or grandmother. I do have some from my mother-in-law that I cherish. I love making them and wearing them. I'm such a messy cook I have to wear one. What wonderful memories you must have when you see those aprons.

Simply Shelley said...

Hi Amy, I loved reading your post. It brought tears to my eyes when you spoke of smelling your Mom's old cardigan. How special to live and raise your children in the very home you were rasied yourself. You have so many wonderful memories of your parents and grandparents, thank you so much for sharing them. I am glad you got to see your life long friend.I pray you and yours have a blessed New Year.

Blessings,Shelley